Thursday, November 4, 2010

First Injection

Injections went well tonight. I must have thick skin (or a really fat stomach!), because they do not hurt at all. I thought I would have to get Josh to do it, but he was busy so I quick did it. The needle is so small. Honestly, Bryce biting me in my stomach during playtime hurt far worse.

The hardest thing is learning how to mix them correctly. You have to take .5cc of liquid and mix it with four vials of powder.

Of course when the nurse showed me what to do, it all appeared so easy. Tonight, when I had to do it myself, it was much more difficult. Largely because I wanted to make sure every last drop of medicine was injected and there was still a tiny bit in one of the vials.

There are two ways you can pull medicine out of vials- with a Q-CAP and a needle. The Q-CAP works as a needle and simply screws onto the syringe, allowing you to then pull back the syringe and drain the liquid.


When using a straight needle, you insert it through the top, and then pull back the medicine. The tricky part is that if you get too many air bubbles, you lose a small portion of medicine when getting those bubbles out of the needle before injection.


I was messing around with both the Q-CAP and the needle tonight, and I can't decide which one is better. I think I can get a more accurate pull with the needle, with fewer air bubbles.

The only side effect I have noticed is, since starting birth control, I have had headaches on and off.

Scratch that.

Since starting Flagyl (for the parasite), I have had headaches.

Someone once told me that they thought the needles and mixing and ultrasounds would be the worst part, but that paled in comparison to the emotional side of this all. I am early in my journey, but I know just what she is talking about. When I faced possible cancellation because of the cyst, I realized I am already SO invested in this, it will be hard if it doesn't work.

No comments: