Monday, May 9, 2011

Questions

There have been a few really good questions asked lately, so I thought I would address them here as well in case anyone else is interested.


Has anything changed since diagnosis?

The week between our initial findings at the hospital and my subsequent visit with Dr. Balaskas, some amniotic fluid appeared. Not enough to make the outcome different, mind you, but the baby does have a teeny, tiny amount around the head and butt. We have watched multiple times as the bladder empties so we know it is being swallowed and digested.

There is not yet enough to change the outcome.

I keep trying to recall the various things I did during that week, and cannot come up with anything I did different.

Frustrating.


Why bother doing CVS if they already know what's wrong with the pregnancy?

Two things make natural delivery really difficult:

1) there isn't amniotic fluid to help aid the baby into the birth canal

2) the baby is breech

Our only real option for seeing this baby alive is to deliver via c-section. I would have to have the classic 5-inch vertical incision, which is associated with more complications for me.

If the baby has Trisomy 13, 18, or 21, Dr. B said it is uniformly lethal when combined with severe oligohydramnios so he would rather not risk doing a C-section.


How can they tell it is a placenta issue if your fluid looked great at 12 weeks?


Other than the lack of fluid, the strongest indicator is a separation of the chorion and amnion. Between 14 and 16 weeks, they fuse together and you should not see space between them. At two places around the sack, you can see space between the two.

What is not normal is that I have not had any bleeding. In almost all cases, Dr. B has seen some type of bleeding or loss of fluid.

It's sort of an educated guess at this point.



Will giving steriod injections help mature the lungs?

If we make it to 24-25 weeks, the most aggressive option is for me to check in to Spectrum and have the baby monitored daily for the remainder of the pregnancy. That would include giving steroid injections in case there is any lung function.

If growth restrictions present or the fetal heart rate starts dropping, we would then have a c-section immediately.

Once born, Josh and I can either choose to let nature take it's course, or utilize breathing machines to see if there is a chance we can force open the lungs.



Will you guys adopt?

I must admit, I don't love this question these days.

I love this baby. I want this baby.

The truthful answer is that I do not know. When we were struggling with infertility, there were two roads ahead.

We only had finances for one.

We chose the shared-risk IVF plan, betting against the 98% odds we would have a live baby at the end of this.

I would hate to think that this is the very last opportunity to hold a baby of my very own, but it is too early for me to count anything in or out.


Could you tell this pregnancy was different?

This pregnancy is far more uncomfortable than my previous two. Due to the lack of cushioning, the baby is really, really heavy.



If you have any more, feel free to ask. I am more than willing to share details.


I hope your Mother's Day was fantastic.

If you are blessed enough to share that title with me, I celebrate you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jamie, Happy Mother's Day to you! You are in our thoughts and prayers often these days. You know better than anyone what Motherhood means these days. Most mothers know in our hearts that we would do anything for our children, most of us will never have to face the possiblity of loosing a child and the huge heartache that brings. Praying for miracles for you and Baby B. but knowing if they are not to be, that our God understands what it is to loose a child and He will carry you through if need be. Hoping and praying beside you!