Sunday, May 22, 2011

Our early exit

I was in labor over 50 hours combined with the boys, so I am pretty sure I know labor pains when I feel them.

Halfway through church this morning, I started feeling familiar pain. Contraction like, and coming one to two minutes apart.

After 10 minutes, I left church to see if I could walk it off. Possibly change positions to see if that helped.

With Dr. Balaskas' warning about early labor fresh in mind, I went and got Josh and the boys out of church.

My good friend Nat was sitting with me, waiting for Josh to get the mini-van.

"I'll pray," she said as I walked out the door, her concern ever apparent.

Driving home, they started slowing down to around 5 minutes apart.

I rested in bed until my parents arrived, still contracting about every ten to fifteen minutes.

Not wanting to leave anything to chance, we headed to labor and delivery.

By the time we checked into the room, they had stopped completely.

Hooked up to the contraction machine for about an hour, all looks at rest currently. Cervix is closed tight, praise the Lord.

I was so worried that today might have been the day.

Discharge instructions: lay low, limit activities.

To be honest, I am not sure Josh (or my mother, for that matter) is going to let me out of bed for the remainder of this pregnancy.

So thankful today for false alarms. I am pretty sure I was the only patient relieved to be discharged from the L & D unit.

Meeting with my new OB tomorrow. The name should be familiar to most of you. Dr. Dood was kind enough to chew on the situation with me Friday over the phone. I am pleased to be working with someone who sees this as our baby.

Seeing that Josh teaches their son currently, I think his wife and kids are pretty invested, too:-)

Thanking God, especially today, for one more day.

*Special thanks to Nat for making this cute little banner for Baby Bird. We are so appreciative of the prayers and thoughts on our unborn babes behalf.

Honestly, some days it overwhelms me how many people care about a baby they have never met.

We are humbled and grateful, to say the least.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

So thankful it wasn't anything more serious. Praying for no more scares that this. Please listen to your mom and Josh and lay low....it won't be forever. Please let me know how I can help. Love you guys.

I'm Angie. said...

Jamie, how scary. So glad the contractions stopped. Stay in bed, I agree!! I am excited for your new doc. Anyone who is a "dood/dude" is ok by me ;)

mary abbott said...

Jamie and Josh you probably don't know me very well. Josh you had my son Noah when he was in fourth grade, four years ago. I have been following your blog on Facebook and wanted you to know my heart goes out to you both and your family as you continue to struggle with the rollercoasters of this pregnancy. I pray that the struggles become fewer and the blessing of carrying this new life becomes easier. Prayerfully, Mary abbott

JULIAN & Co. said...

awe jamie. i'm so glad you are home and in bed and contractions are gone.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

This is my fourth attempt at posting on your blog. This is no mere attempt though, I have first typed it up in a Word document because every time I get done, something goes wrong. I either post it wrong and I hit the ‘back’ button only to find an empty space for me to make an entry or one of my girls “X’s” me out of a website they don’t understand, and once it just disappeared all together—the whole site.
My name is Kari Fear. I went to high school with your husband and his Dad kicked me out of choir so many times that I thought I left a remarkable memory for him. However, when I moved to Michigan several years later, he didn’t remember my name or if he even had me in choir. Another life lesson in how to leave a mark in someone’s life—leave with a positive impression, they last much longer and are much more fun to re-count.
Our husband’s also know one another through basketball. I believe they met at summer camps in junior high and high school. I didn’t meet my husband ‘til my last year in college and if my husband were here, I’d ask but he’s currently residing in Kansas while our girls & I wait for our house to sell up here in Nebraska so we can be together again.
I tell you this for no reason, except to let you know we’ve been praying for you. I’ve prayed for you since I first saw Josh’s post on facebook that you were expecting. Your husband has been incredibly faithful in lifting us up in prayer as we are going through my husband’s college closing last summer. It has meant a lot to me and I was so excited to lift up a prayer of praise for you. Then, when he posted something was wrong I was frustrated that we weren’t facebook friends but I bowed in front of our computer screen and prayed immediately that God would send His angels to heal what was wrong. Then I found your blog (and I entered my first entry). I have prayed for many-an unborn baby and none harder than I have for yours. I’ve prayed for your husband, you, and your other children. I’ve prayed for peace that passes understanding and a miracle in more fluid.
I don’t know that I’ll be able to post again (literally) but please know that I will continue to pray. I’ll be honest, I pray more earnestly the more you blog & the more Josh posts on facebook so keep them coming. I will add to my prayer patience for you as you are on bedrest, stamina for Josh as he meets your & the family’s needs and most of all that your other children will understand the amazing God they will experience through this and can reach out to others about. That has been our biggest blessing in our challenges this year—listening to our girls talk about how they will tell people about having faith, not because they were taught to, but because they’ve lived it and they know of what they speak.
Thank you for posting your story. I’m sure it must make you feel vulnerable at times, but it allows us out here in Nebraska to pray for you and we are grateful and we’ll stay faithful.

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

How wonderful that Jeff will be your doctor - someone you know you can trust and will be praying right along with you! God is good! I love the little banner that Nat made, too! Please lay low - it will be worth it:-) If you need anything, there are lots of us willing to do it for you (meals, cleaning, rides for the boys, etc.) Blessings!! Marva

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

Thanks for all your wonderful comments- I appreciate it! Nice to meet you, Kari!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Jamie, so very thrilled to see you got a new OB. First I thought it was Dodds but it is Dood no matter, it is who is one your side! Stay in bed and water water water! Prayers for you every day!

Jamie said...

Thank you! I have seen Dodds, too. Loved him as well!

Unknown said...

Add me to the list of caring about a baby I have not met. *hugs*