Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tessa girl update



Does little describe you anymore when you weigh 5 lb, 11 ounces?


Tessa did not have an echo today.

Sometime I will share the frustration of seeing 9 doctors, with 9 different ideas on how to treat the same child. Add 200 nurses to the equation, and you might never get the same answer twice.

Long story short, our primary neonatolgist did not feel that she needed it. We had a "care conference" today to go over Tessa's progress and goals.

They are taking a wait and see approach on many things.

The constant desaturations-he was, surprisingly, not as alarmed as I was. She is consistently bringing her saturation levels up on her own. Hopefully, as she gets bigger and stronger, this will get better.

Hemoglobin- they have decided to wait on a transfusion, for now. Should she require any additional respiratory support, I am positive she will be receiving one. The hope is that her own bone marrow will kick in soon and start producing red blood cells.

Feedings- she is taking about half of her bottle consistently. We pray that she continues to progress on this front. This ties hand in hand with the saturation/lung development. The stronger her lungs become, the easier feedings will be.

He believes she will go home on a monitor, which is okay with me. I have seen Tessa turn blue far too many times lately to trust her sleeping without one!

I am really excited, and have great joy in my heart, because he asked if we have a bed ready for her.

Which we don't.

But oh, how I am looking forward to putting a bed up in our room for her to come home to! Barring any roadblocks, we could have her home in a month...which means we are over half way there. That makes my heart so happy!

Tessa also had a developmental progress check today. They will do many of these over the next year to make sure she is not falling behind.

One of the activities involves ringing a bell in her ears, to see how long it takes for her to tune it out. Tessa was able to completely ignore it after two times. Apparently, this is quite impressive, and further adds to my hunch that she is going to be a willful child.

How wonderful it was to come home to a meal! Why did I resist this for so long? We got finished with the conference at 6, and my mom had dinner made and the boys eating chicken lasagna when I arrived. It was fantastic to NOT be scrambling for dinner at 6:30, with two starving and crabby kids. I cannot express how big of a blessing that was.

Tomorrow night is the sibling party at the hospital. It only happens once a month, where the hospital whoops it up for siblings of a "sick" child.

They receive a gift bag, have a pizza party, and a special play time designed just for them.

I love that this time is carved out with them in mind. So much of our attention these days goes to Tessa. It is a good reminder that they deserve to be celebrated, too.

That pretty much sums up the Bird family for today. Thank you for continually loving on us all.

Psalm 23:6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

This post warmed my heart, Jamie. I am constantly mindful of what a miracle you all are. To hear you talk of Tessa's future when she comes home in a month and checking progress a year from now is AMAZING, when we consider what her original prognosis was. To GOD be the glory! Oh, and enjoy those meals....I hope you get lots of yummy stuff!
The Rozemas

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy for you:) God is so very, very good!!!!! AMAZING news. Blessings to you all. We will continue to pray.

Michelle said...

This photo is adorable. It makes me want to snuggle her up and sniff her little baby smell :) someday!!!!
God is (always!) Good! Sometimes I am stopped and really think about this little miracle within our midst. So Thankful. Sending love today to you all.

Jamie Covey said...

tears of joy today for you! How wonderful to have a positive day! It's about time those are more prominent:)