Wednesday, September 21, 2011





6 lbs, 8 ounces.


This girl likes to eat!



Friday evening, Tessa had a routine MRI. She looks happy, huh?


Babies born under 28 weeks receive them automatically, so they decided to lump her in because she was so close in gestation.


Because the machine is expensive, they run a tight schedule. Prompt and effective, every last detail was laid out when the appointment was set earlier in the day.


We fed Tessa a bit early, and then had to apply "jumper cables" to her chest and stick on the ear muffs on.


She then went into a blue inflatable papoose to keep her very still.


As she was leaving in her baby buggy at 8:25 exactly, the nurse removed her from central monitoring to a portable device.

Upon returning one half hour later (she filled her pants and slept like an old lady with her mouth gaping open during the actual test), we hooked Tessa back up and noticed that all of her information had been wiped clean. She had trending graphs, saturation limits, etc. and none of them remained.


I did not think much of it.


Saturday and Sunday brought a lot of alarms, and the dinging was driving me crazy. I normally am pretty patient; Sunday was the first time I had to walk away and collect myself. I was grinding my teeth and getting a headache as the monitor tripped over and over and over.


Yesterday, one of my primary nurses came in and said, "Why is this so loud?"


Unhooking her restored the system back to presets, which had the dinging as loud as it could go.


No wonder.


Thank God it was turned lower again yesterday- I was about ready to go crazy over there!


Tessa is back on caffeine, the conclusion is that it was much needed. Her saturation levels are again consistently where they need to be.


She is working on taking 48 hours worth of bottles. Sometimes, she gets gulping too fast, and falls behind with breathing. I can tell she is going to get "stuck", where she looks at me and cannot figure out how to take the next breath. Helpless, I can only look back at her and calmly wait for her to restart.


She turns all shades of blue and gray, her heart rate drops to the 90's, and her oxygen saturation plummets.


Thankfully, this is quite normal. As her mom, it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes, though:-)


MRI was perfect, so we are thankful for that!

Thank you for your diligent prayers for our family. We appreciate them!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love the picture of Daddy feeding her. Can just see the pride, joy, and prayers flowing through his mind as he looks at her and can even feel them swelling in and trying to burst forth from his chest in thankfulness and praise for the little miracle he is holding!

Laurie said...

Oh I remember those "I forgot to breathe while eating looks". Usually a good tip up and back down and Zach would figure it out.

She's so cute. Blessings as you await her homecoming. It's the best day.ever.