Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tessa, Tessa

My darling Tessa.

The last few days have been rough.

Have you ever tried not eating for two days?

It sucks.

I cannot stand to see her cry and cry, so she has been loved on around the clock lately.

Between Josh, my mom, and I, Tessa has been held the majority of the day.

A small price to pay for her comfort.

In terms of diagnostics, her CRP blood work came back lower yesterday. The X-Rays show a less distended bowel. Praise the Lord, her X-Rays have not show any pneumatosis (bubbling of the lining).

Her blood cultures also came back negative. However, she has officially blown out four IVs in the last two days, so I am hopeful infection STAYS out of her blood. The last thing we need right now is sepsis.



Tessa has about a half of a soda can of blood pumping through her.

Because of NEC, they have to test her blood a lot.

Well, guess what happens when you take a lot of blood?

Her hemoglobin is again falling, and very close to the level she had when they did the transfusion in the first place. As I believe that is what caused this, I am very leery to do it again.

But it is not good for her to be anemic either. It is like trying to figure out which option would be worse for her, since neither is ideal.


Next X-Ray/bloodwork tomorrow to see if it would be safe to resume feeding her. We are looking for rested bowels, and a CRP level of less than 10 (hers currently is 27).


So many of you thoughtful people have offered to help. Josh and I are running on E, and then some. The problem is, I am not even sure what to ask for! :-) I currently lack the organization/mental skills to solve how to make this easier.

Prayer is the one thing that I know works, so today I ask for continued prayers.

Specifically:
- that the NEC would be gone
-Tessa would not develop a blood infection
-comfort for her hunger
-that NEC won't come back once she starts eating again (POSSIBLY Sunday or Monday)
-supernatural energy for Josh and I
-that neither of us would get sick due to lack of sleep
-a peace that passes understanding
-nurses that are vigilant, and keep a close eye on Tessa, so I can feel comfortable leaving her
-Kayden and Bryce. I am so sad that their lives are upside down lately. I hate to say it, but since Tessa was so ill, she got the vast majority of my time. Then I feel guilty about not spending time with the other kids. Vicious cycle, I tell you.
-sleep

Thank you, prayer warriors!

Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: