Tuesday, July 5, 2011

No plans

I didn't set out to be in investment banking.

You know how one thing happens, and it leads to another, and you wake up one day wondering how you got there without ever making the decision in the first place?

Right out of high school, I was looking for a job that would pay more than minimum wage. A friend worked for an investment banker, and his partner was looking for a second assistant.

Seeing people take horse and carriage tours during my lunch break, concert goers heading to the Van Andel, BMX riders practicing tricks at Rosa Parks Circle- there is a certain heartbeat in the city and I loved working downtown. The job fit well with my college schedule, and I became fast friends with my co-worker.

Two years went by in a blink.

Searching for work when I arrived in Redlands, the temp agency naturally wanted to plug me into the same line of work.

This investment banking office was different, though.

Pressure built for me to take the Series 7 exam and become certified in stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. Gone were the days of rolling into work at 10 am. My work day started at 7 am sharp. If there was work, I had to stay until it was finished. Most days I did not enter the congested Highway 15 traffic until well after 5pm. I usually arrived home around 6.

Days off were spent going to the dentist, the D.M.V., doctor's visits. I felt like I could never catch up and rarely had time to do anything fun.

My second summer, with Josh heading to the beach or pool each day, I started feeling gray. My parents would come to visit and most of my time was spent at work. The never ending hum of office machines coupled with the beige walls and gray carpet gave me a perpetual feeling of discontent. Loathing the up and down ticks representing stocks day in and day out, my creativity was waning.

I loved the people I worked with, but hated the job.

Josh came to visit one afternoon (all tan and rested, mind you). As we ate lunch together in an adjoining office overlooking a busy street below, I could barely bring myself back to work.

"Why don't you quit?" he asked.

Being a classic A-type personality, the thought of quitting without a new job on deck terrified me.

But it is exactly what I did. Went back to work that day and gave my two weeks notice.

Not knowing where I was going with my life was terrifying. Used to plans and charts and organization, days without structure were liberating yet fear-filled.

How we were going to pay our bills became my greatest worry. Without my second income, money became really tight.

A dream had always been to study acting seriously. The following years were spent hunkering down with other actors at a little theater near Universal Studios. From time to time, I see them on TV and recall funny stories from our days rehearsing at the coffee shop near school.

Somehow, someway....God provided just what we needed. Even though we had $5 in our bank account a lot of the days, we never went without.

Thing is, throwing caution to the wind is not in my nature.

The not knowing is stressful for this A-type.

I can honestly say that my time in Hollywood represents one of the last times I was completely without a plan; with zero direction on the horizon.

Until Now.

Being in the situation we are in with Tessa, I can't create a plan.

I can't prepare myself for what is on the horizon.

No one knows.

There isn't a single test that can tell whether her lungs will work or not. Spending the entire summer, day in and out, wondering about that one thing....

It's terrifying.

My boys love to run through the glass revolving doors near the front of the hospital. As I was sitting there in my wheel chair enjoying their laughter, another mom was leaving with her baby and balloons and mementos.

It dawned on me.

I will not leave here with a baby.

The throat lump comes when I image myself having to leave here and go home to plan a funeral for this sweet little girl instead of the NICU calling me back. If I don't catch and stop myself, I can roll right along to all the horrible things surrounding her not making it.

Daily, I am working hard not to get ahead of myself. Struggling not to anticipate the suffering.

Tessa had a surprise ultrasound yesterday morning.

The placenta is still functioning like it should and her brain development is right on track. She seems to still be hugging the 35% mark for growth.

The fluid was a bit of a bummer, though. She only had a 1 by 1.6 pocket of fluid, most likely due to all the bleeding. It was very disappointing.

So, that is where we are at right now. Trying to figure out what life looks like when tomorrow is hazy. No plans, no direction...just hope that God will heal her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still praying, still hoping, still believing in a miracle for you all. Hang in there....blessings and peace.
Dillene Van Beek

sally said...

Praying for healing. And for God to show you how close He is right now.

Anonymous said...

I started following your blog a few weeks back when my sis mentioned your story to me (her sis-in-law is Monica Brinks who goes to your church). I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you, your baby girl Tessa, and your whole family. The unknown is so so so hard (I lost twins (born through IVF)last June after a 2 week hospital stay). Just know that I will NOT stop praying for a miracle. I just took care of a lil guy in the hospital (I am a nurse at DeVos Childrens) who was given the same prognosis and he survived and is doing well...don't stop believing. When you doubt just remember all the people praying you!!!

Ashley Nederveld said...

Still thinking of you guys, Jamie. The longer she stays inside, the better. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Jamie - I just read the story of how you and Josh met. What a great story! Hope you are doing okay. Marva

Anonymous said...

Many many prayers your way! I think of you, Tessa and your boys daily.

--jamie (hodge) covey

Kristi said...

Jamie, continuing to uphold you,Tessa, Josh and your boys in prayer many times a day. We are especially praying for peace for you as you have to stay in the hospital away from your precious boys. When you feel you cannot go on another day just remember God still performs miracles and think about that precious little girl in your arms.
Kristi Handlogten

Anonymous said...

I just heard about your blog yesterday and I just wanted to share a comment with you today. My cousin had a similar experience 17 years ago. They were told to terminate the pregnancy because their son was going to be a "vegetable". Since terminating the pregnancy was not an option for them, they instead gave the whole situation over to God (which I know your family is doing also), and currently they are being blessed daily by a wonderful 17-year-old son who has gone far above and beyond the doctor's prognosis! He is entering 11th grade at Unity Christian High School and he is loved by everyone because he is very social. I hope this small comment can give you hope to keep leaning on the Great Physician, Who is the real Doctor who is caring for you and little Tessa. We will keep your family in our prayers. --Sharon Van Oyen