Saturday, July 16, 2011

Burnt Toast, Burp Cloths, and Bedtimes




Early one Sunday morning, I was watching a television evangelist. I don't normally tune in, but I guess when one misses church for seven weeks straight, a little desperation is allowed.



The pastor was talking about how he had the flu and hadn't eaten. On the third day, he finally felt better and decided to make toast with a little butter. His toaster malfunctioned, and the corners were burned. He still decided to eat it. Since he was so famished, he relayed that it was the best stinking toast he ever had.



He asked how hungry we are for God-because if you are really hungry, even burnt toast tastes good. A different kind of longing for the Bible appears.



Going through this process with Tessa, I cannot even tell you how many times I heard "your faith is so strong".



I will be honest. I don't feel strong. I'm not strong.



There were so many times that I wanted to turn and run from God because I felt so abandoned. A few days before she was born, Josh and I were playing cribbage and at one point we stopped the game and I sobbed for almost an hour fearing the unknown.



But as much as I wanted to turn away from God, I needed the toast.



Even after this HUGE miracle we just experienced, trust and hope is still hard some times. The emotional toll it takes to leave her is so difficult. My heart about ripped out of my chest today when I had to hop in the van at discharge. Every day I get to spend with her is another level of attachment and fear still creeps.



I want to keep her.



Please pray for her NICU stay. Specifically:



-feeding issues: we have yet to have two consecutive feedings. Her belly does not want to digest food.



-breathing: that she continues to breath on her own without tiring.



-brain bleeds: she has her first head ultrasound on Tuesday. Please pray for zero blood on the brain.



-infections: that she would remain infection free. Babies this size do not have the immune system we do. As her mom, this is terrifying and I could become darn near neurotic trying to prevent germs.



-adjustment: I am having a horrible time leaving her. The balance of being here for my boys and wanting to be by her bed is a routine I am not used to yet. Bryce cried himself to sleep tonight because he thought mom would be home for the first time in weeks (we were up at the hospital).



We are so grateful that we get this chance at life with Tessa. She has lungs. We have hope. We are overjoyed spending time with her.



Thank you, as always, for storming the gates on our behalf and loving our sweet girl.

5 comments:

Beverly said...

I stumbled upon your blogg the day before Tessa entered the world and I prayed for this baby girl to have lungs to live. I stand here amazed at how simple that was for God! We asked and his answer was simply yes and it just amazes me to see baby Tessa laying there alive because though I prayed for her to live I'm not so sure I believed it could happen. So I am just amazed when I looked at this miracle that God has shown me first hand in your tiny little angel Tessa! Know that your family and your daughter continue to be in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

I heard this song today and then after reading your post...I thought of it again and wanted to share it with you. Check out "Strong Enough" by Matthew West.

You must
You must think I'm strong
To give me what I'm going through

Well, forgive me
Forgive me if I'm wrong
But this looks like more than I can do
On my own

I know I'm not strong enough to be
everything that I'm supposed to be
I give up
I'm not strong enough
Hands of mercy won't you cover me
Lord right now I'm asking you to be
Strong enough
Strong enough
For the both of us

Well, maybe
Maybe that's the point
To reach the point of giving up

Cause when I'm finally
Finally at rock bottom
Well, that's when I start looking up
And reaching out

I know I'm not strong enough to be
Everything that I'm supposed to be
I give up
I'm not stong enough
Hands of mercy won't you cover me
Lord right now I'm asking you to be
Strong enough
Strong enough

Cause I'm broken
Down to nothing
But I'm still holding on to the one thing
You are God
and you are strong
When I am weak

I can do all things
Through Christ who gives me strength
And I don't have to be
Strong enough
Strong enough

I can do all things
Through Christ who gives me strength
And I don't have to be
Strong enough
Strong enough

Oh, yeah

I know I'm not strong enough to be
Everything that I'm supposed to be
I give up
I'm not stong enough
Hands of mercy won't you cover me
Lord right now I'm asking you to be
Strong enough
Strong enough
Strong enough

Praying for you tonight! May you, Josh, the kids, and Tessa continue to be covered in His hands of mercy!

Shelley

STEFFIEJ said...

YOU ARE AMAZING MY FRIEND!!!...AND YES YOU ARE STRONG..YOU MAY NOT FEEL IT..BUT YOU 100% ARE..WE ALL HAVE THOSE DAYS WE FEEL DEFEATED AND NOT STRONG..AND YOU DEFINITELY HAVE THE RIGHT TO FEEL THAT WAY AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BEEN THRU..CAN'T FAULT YOU FOR THAT ONE BIT GIRL..BUT YOU GOING THRU WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN THRU AND COMING OUT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF IT NOW MAKES YOU ONE OF THE STRONGEST PEOPLE I KNOW..I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW TORN YOU MUST BE..BETWEEN BEING HOME WITH THE BOYS AND BEING WITH HER..THE DAYS ARE GOING TO GET BETTER..I PROMISE..SHE'S GOING TO BREATHE JUST FINE..SHE'S GOING TO LEARN TO EAT AND DIGEST HER FOOD..YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE THE FAITH..AND SO MANY PRAYERS ARE BEING SAID..AND GOD ALREADY PERFORMED THE GREAT MIRACLE OF BRINGING HER INTO THIS WORLD WHEN THE ODDS WERE SO AGAINST IT..AND HE CAN MOVE MORE MOUNTAINS WHETHER THEY BE BIG OR SMALL..SHE'S GOING TO BE A FIGHTER..REMEMBER BACK TO HOW SHE DID THOSE NIGHTS SHE MADE YOU HEAD DOWN TO THE OR..SHE'S THE DIVA..REMEMBER..SHE'S GOT THIS!! IT MIGHT TAKE HER A LIL' LONGER TO GET THE HANG OF IT..BUT SHE WILL GET IT..I HAVE THE FAITH...AND SO DO YOU!! SENDING ALL MY PRAYERS YOUR WAY!!! LUV YA MY FRIEND!!

Jill said...

Always praying for you guys!! Even though it's a completely different situation, I can totally relate to being SO concerned about exposure to germs. Mackenzie has spent a lot of this past week away from home because of my fear of Maddie getting her cold.

Finding the balance between giving attention to all of the kids as a mom is SO hard. Thinking of and praying for you lots!

Judy said...

Jamie,thankyou for your honesty with us all. God shows His strength through our weakness. We can see God's strength in you even when you don't feel it. His strength carried you and your family through these tough weeks and He will continue,I know.Your openess and honesty about your feelings is a beautiful thing. Not all of us can do that.( I know a close friend of yours that can express her feelings like you :)
I will keep on praying for your precious Tessa for all the specifics you mentioned.Also for you and Josh and the boys as you struggle with being at home and the hospital.May God send many people to you that have walked this road before to encourage you. Love you guys.