Friday, July 15, 2011

Holding Tessa

The boys were just leaving, after visiting their new sister.

As I was taking the boys back to the waiting room where Grandma and Grandpa were sitting, the nurse asked me if I wanted to hold her.

I was taken by surprise, because normally they cannot be held until the IV in her belly button is removed. If that line gets bumped out of place, the feedings would go to the wrong spot and cause a lot of problems.

Of course I said yes, and excitedly took the boys back to leave with my parents while the nurse got her ready.

I sat down in the reclining chair as she was taken out of her isolette.

They placed a pillow on my lap and gently slipped her onto the pillow. It barely felt like I was holding anything at all.

She took a deep sigh of relief.

I swear the smell of her breath must be what heaven smells like. I wanted to glue it to the inside of my nose, and never forget that sweet breath on my face.

I kept leaning down to feel her breath, telling her "Mommy is so proud of you and loves you so much."

Thinking back over the last 12 weeks, I did not know if I would ever get to hold her alive and talk to her like this. Over and over I told her about all the people praying for her and who love her already.

I could not stop crying tears of joy.

After about 40 minutes, I had to give her back so she would not lose body temperature.

The entire wheelchair ride back to my room, that song kept flashing into my head:

Do you dare to believe that the pain that you've been feeling can't compare to the joy that's coming?

My "Deliriously Happy".

Please keep praying for Tessa. She has such a long way to go. Her feedings have given her a lot of trouble, and any small infection would be hard for her to fight. Please pray for an uneventful NICU stay, with as few complications as possible.

We leave Hotel Spectrum tomorrow, after 5 weeks being here. I know it is going to be tough.

Thank you, as always, for praying us through. We are so grateful you have been part of the story.

7 comments:

I'm Angie. said...

I can feel that sweet breath from your writing. I'm so happy for you!

Kristi said...

What a beautiful picture. I remember holding my baby in the NICU for the first time and it was such a wonderful feeling, something you will never forget. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers, until Tessa comes homes home with the rest of her family. We will pray for a good transition for you as you have to leave your precious little one in the hospital. I know how hard that is but when she finally comes homes you will have such a celebration. Kristi Handlogten

Jamie Covey said...

Tears of joy reading these last few posts. Big prayers for better digestion and that she did great off CPAP today! Great photos, too! Prayers to you as well leaving her to go home.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jamie;
I have been away for a couple of days and could not wait to catch up with news of Tessa. The pictures are beautiful....praying that she will continue to grow strong. I really believe that the gates of hell were rocked the day she was born....as the shout of praise went up from all who have been praying. Blessings to you as you go home, may the transition be smooth and may she come home in your arms soon.
Blessings
Dillene Van Beek

Joan Tanis said...

Tonight we celebrated our oldest daughter's birthday. As we were celebrating conversation switched to the joy of your little girl! We decided that it was time to get caught up on your blog and we read it while we ate birthday cake. I have to say there was not a dry eye at the table. We are so excited to hear about the daily miracles you are experiencing. We continue to pray regularly for Tessa and your entire family. Thanks for continuing to share your God story with us!
In Christ, The Tanis'

Facebook said...

Comments:
Krista Gradias This makes me so happy for you.....SO sweet!
Rhonda Nunez I guess so!! Congratulations!!!!!
Angie Beller Beermann Amazing! Just caught up on your birth story. So happy for you :)
Jennifer Sterk Just amazing, Jamie!!
Kate Henkel Bloemers Beautiful!
Stacey Hopkins Pylman For this day we prayed...
Stacey Hopkins Pylman ‎"Oh Lord my God, You have done many miracles for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds I would never come to the end of them." Psalm 40:5
Seana Streich Taylor There's no LOVE button! Oh I remember the first time I held such a tiny baby;) Love love!!
Cheralyn Paynton Nichols Just breath taking! Thanks for sharing with us
Becky Morales I am so happy for you Jamie! Thank you for keeping us posted with your blog. It has been uplifting and amazing on how great God is!
Jillian Bartlett Sandler Perfection.
Lisa Lechuga She needs her mama's loving touch!
Heather Ledeboer yipeee!
Sherri Mensch God is so good! I am so happy for you :)
Kathy Wells What a beautiful precious little bundle she is! God does answer our prayers!
JoAnn Neerken What a little peanut!! How precious
Shani Raine Gilchrist LOVE.
Heidi VanderWal Heart melting...
Janice L Vander Ploeg One of the best sights I have ever seen, made me cry!!
Jennifer Hurst What a beautiful picture !!!
Michelle Dielemen Love! Momma and her baby girl :)
Cara Van Dam LOVE IT!!! I'm so glad that you got to hold her.
Resa Passarella Troyer Love!!
Wendy Klunder Awesome.
Julie DeVries Bakker Beautiful! Congratulations!
Christen Wilder Amazing! I am so glad that you were able to hold her!!! Wonderful!
Sonny Mike Huisman Words cannot describe the beauty of this picture . . . Praise be to our Mighty God! He can do more than we can ask or imagine . . . and he HAS!

Facebook said...

Judy Hopkins Gazing on your picture,I can just feel the love!
April Meeuwsen Osterhaven We are sooo happy! God is amazing!!!!!
Joan Holwerda Howard Oh my....wonderful
Jeffrey Hartog best feeling in the world
Kathi Spurlock I am so happy for you and your family.
Katie VanBeek Verhoef Wow! Sooooo wonderful!
Lynn Richards oh, beautiful. your joy comes through so strongly in this picture, Jamie!!
Cindy Scholma Congratulations! What a precious little miracle!
Amanda Stuyvesant she is sooooo miny :) love her already ♥.
Stephanie Collins Cogdell Johnson PRECIOUS TO SAY THE LEAST!!!!...A MOMENT U WILL NEVER FORGET!!
Tammy Vredevoogd Amazing! What an awesome testimony that prayers do work!
TraceynChristina Branch Sooooooooo precious! Much ♥ and prayers!
Lisa Wiersma So wonderful to see! God is doing amazing things every day! Thankful for answered prayers and wonderful surprises!
Christine Camp VanZee She is so beautiful!!! I am sooooo happy for you and your family!
Dawn M. Walter amazing!
Diane Cummings Spear What a miracle, I am so happy for all of you. I will continue to pray :)
Kathy Miedema That is sooo awesome. Thanks for the updates about Tess, God is so good!
Erin Mahoney Allen Yay!!!!! Tears, lots of tears as I think of all of your emotions! Be strong for her mommy! She's fighting!!! ;)
Brenda Wharton congrats! she's so beautiful!!
Bryan Neerken Congrats guys!!! A definate answer to prayer!!!
Sarah Judd Kronland Just awesome. Awesome!!!!!!!!! Doing a happy dance!!!! :)
Tony Jenna Darland I really wish Tessa's story was on the news....this has been such a privledge to watch unfold. Thank you SO much Jamie for letting us into your heart as you've travelled this journey. Do you feel that the road is still marked with suffering? (Not a sarcastic comment......) Blessings and prayers for your family.
Jodi Salzwedel Knipp Beautiful Jamie!!!
Jamie Bird Thank you all! That is a good question- no! I feel our current path is overflowing with joy! I need to change the blog, but cannot get online lol
Tami 'Bolt' Boomsma absolutely precious!
Tammy Wolters She's precious Jamie! We are so excited for you!
Barb Ezinga Lucky, I had to wait 5 weeks ... isn't it awesome!?!