Friday, April 8, 2011

Booby Prize

I just have to get this out.

Since it is my blog, and my feelings...this is as good of a time as any.

A few years ago, I remember sitting at dinner with few friends. One of the girls was talking about how she saw an old classmate that she did not get along with in high school. Both were now pregnant, each had one boy prior.

She asked the classmate what gender she was having, to which the classmate replied "Another boy."

"Ha", she said smugly to all of us. "I just laughed because I am having a girl, and she is stuck with another boy. Serves her right."

I had just had Bryce, and it did not sit well with me that "another boy" was a booby prize.

In all honesty, that is how society makes you feel when you have all one gender. That NOT having a pigeon pair makes you a failure. I probably did it, too, before I had boys (and I am so sorry if I did!).

I heard the echos of "another boy?", "wow, your house is going to be wild", or "you trying again to get a girl?" long before we were even pregnant.

So, please--if this is another boy--put on your happy face and congratulate me. Don't treat it as a disappointment. I will absolutely LOVE whatever this baby is, and think it is the most special thing in the world.

Would I love a little pink? Absolutely. From my wise son, Kayden: "you get what you get, and don't make a fit."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the feeling...I don't feel like I am missing any thing by having all boys. Would I had loved a girl if God would've given is one, Yes! But He didnt give that chance, so I love my boys with all my heart.

I am and will be excited for you and Josh either way. We love you guys and little baby birdie. :)

Jamie said...

Thanks for writing, Cara. Glad to know somebody can relate!