Saturday, December 18, 2010

Pissed.

We went to see The Fighter today at the theater. Great movie. Long story short, it led me to the real life documentary about Dicky Ecklund- High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell.

It is a compelling, if not heartbreaking, documentary on what crack cocaine does to your life.

Brenda is one of the three addicts followed, who happens to be pregnant. Five times she heads to abortion clinics- each time she lacks the funds to achieve the end result.

The more I watched, the madder I got.

We are so focused on the "getting pregnant" that I do not often think about abortion and people completely opposite to us. Brenda's mom forced her into having an abortion when she was 15, which probably led her into crack in the first place. Now, she feels she would not be a fit mother to a baby, and I am sure she is quite right. At one point, she even said "I hope this baby is ready for slaughter". Granted, she is a crack whore, but still. There are others like her, out there, not wanting the precious gift growing inside. Injecting their uterus with saline at 22 weeks and then allowing the baby to pass.

I feel it is one of life's great injustices. People desperate for babies and not being able to have them in stark contrast to the women not wanting them and ending up pregnant over and over again.

It is so unfair.

No comments: