Sunday, February 13, 2011

Progesterone

I mentioned before that I have to take supplements to support this pregnancy. I cannot remember why, exactly, but it has something to do with that fact that this baby does not have a corpus luteum or something like that.

Anyway, I do a progesterone (PIO) shot every morning, 3 pills per day of Estrogen, and then a patch of Estrogen every other day.

The problem is, my insurance only covers 8 patches per month instead of 16.
They will only fill enough PIO for two weeks, and for a while they would only give me half of the Estrogen I needed at a time.

With the three of these, I am forever running to Target for a prescription. It seems like every week, I am waiting for them to try and sort out what is needed and calling the fertility doctor to clear it with the insurance company.

Don't get me wrong....I am HAPPY to have to do all of these things because it means I am pregnant. Bryce, on the other hand, doesn't really get why we are forever sitting at the pharmacy.

Anyway, I again ran out of patches and progesterone on Friday. I went to Target to fill the prescriptions, only to find out that they did not have PIO. "We can get it on Monday", they said cheerfully.

I panicked, because I knew that most pharmacies do not stock it.

The pharmacist was kind enough to start calling around, but visions of driving out to Ann Arbor for samples of PIO started getting me angry.

Finally, I thought to call Diplomat. They specialize in injectibles. They had it, so we headed downtown to pick up the prescription.

I am thanking God that they had it, though. I did not want to drive all the way to Ann Arbor!

Lesson learned. Call ahead. It dawned on me (driving downtown) that I need to go to Professional Pharmacy. I am sure I would never have had this problem! :-)

No comments: