Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Kayden was born in November, Brycer in April.

Most of my newborn months with Bryce felt....sticky.


He was hot, I was hot. Feeding him was hot, holding him next to the pool was hot.


Every outfit I put on him was taken off because it was too....hot.



You get the idea.


Kayden was born October 21, so his baby days were full of cute Halloween outfits with matching blankets, Thanksgiving sweaters, and Christmas pageboy caps.




(taken at our house in Redlands)


Although we did not live in a place that snowed, we spent many winter days cozied up next to the fire. 60 degrees feels different when you live in a warm climate year round.


There were a number of reasons Josh and I chose to start the IVF process last November, weather being one of them.


I love having a baby in the fall/winter.


Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Every time I pull out the orange pumpkin box, a part of me gets giddy.


It kicks off the season, and leads ever so quickly to Christmas. Fall craft shows, carefully picking out presents, reading the Bible Christmas morning with my kids, celebrating family and all we have been blessed with....I just love it. Last year, I imagined telling people I was pregnant in the Christmas newsletter, and that thought carried me through 100s of miles back and forth to Ypsilanti.


One of my earliest memories of Halloween included two of my childhood friends, K and T.


Like any threesome of girls, we were the best and the worst of friends all in the same day.


K had asked my mom if I could accompany her up to the school at the end of the street, which was holding it's annual costume contest.


Nothing sounded more fun.


I carefully got dressed in my costume for that year- a pink rainbow Carebear, complete with a tan plastic bear mask.


We excitedly skipped past the three houses, watching oodles of other kids filing into the gym.


The costume "parade" was already in full swing. We quickly joined the line and showcased out attire the length of the floor with Elvis, Alvin the chipmunk, and a few witches.


Then I saw her.


She had blond ringlet curls cascading down her back. Make-up precisely applied, she was everything I wasn't: blond, beautiful, elegant.


Rhinestones glistened off the crown perfectly situated on her head. A white strapless dress with red embroidered accents led into layer upon layer of gorgeous tulle.


I wanted that dress.


And no offense to my mom but, as she won the costume contest and the huge prize basket, I stood there hating my plastic carebear mask.


We exited the gym at the same time, and I told her how pretty she was. Even at such a young age, I remember feeling awkward and nerdy as she flippantly told me "thanks".


You would think this situation would turn me off from costumes and dressing up; oddly, it had the opposite effect.


I love creating Halloween costumes.


My boys don't really let me have an opinion anymore as to what they should be for Halloween.


This little miss has no say (yet).




Happy Halloween from our house to yours. May your night be filled with candy and family.



November 4 is set to be my final post.



Have a great week!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Tessa's costume is adorable!!! She looks so big in that picture too :)